Pathways to HPFT Adult Services

 

 

Referrals – Adults (18+) who are thought to have functional Mental Health needs can be referred for an assessment to receive HPFT services. In non-emergency cases this will likely be either by:

  • their General Practitioner
  • their carer/family
  • themselves via the Single Point of Access

In emergency cases in Herts this is more likely to be

  • In A&E by personnel from the Rapid Assessment Interface and Discharge team
  • if picked up in the street, via the secure 136 suite set up under the 136 section of the Mental Health Act

N.B. Carers of people with an identified functional Mental Health need, even if they are not receiving HPFT services, are also eligible for a carers assessment ie an assessment of their needs in their caring role and the support they might require to maintain their well-being.

Assessment All Mental Health assessments are carried out by the Crisis and Assessment & Treatment Team by qualified Mental Health Practitioners.  The results of the assessment will, according to need, be either a referral to

  • The Acute Assessment Unit (with most severe needs)
  • Community Services
  • To their GP for treatment

The more severe cases will be transferred from the Acute Assessment Unit to either:

  • Acute admissions ( into a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit ) and if appropriate, transferred into a long stay Rehab Unit
  • Alternatives to admissions such as an Acute Day Treatment unit, home treatment via the CAT Team or a period of stay with a Host Family or a combination. These may also be followed by a transfer into a long stay Rehab Unit

Community services – comprises three main teams duplicated across identified areas :

  1. The Well Being Team for those considered to have mild and moderate problems
  2. The Support and treatment team for those with mood disorders, mild to moderate depression, personality disorder, Aspergers, and ADHD
  3. Targeted Treatment Team who deal with schizophrenia and severe depression including First Episode psychosis, ongoing psychosis and psychosis crisis

There also  two centralised teams:

  1.  The OCD Team
  2. The Eating Disorder Team

Of those receiving treatment from Community Services, some 80% will be receiving Standard Care and will have a key contact within the service.  The remaining 20% or so will be on the Care Programme Approach and will have access to a nominated Care Co-ordinator who, with others, will help prepare and maintain their individual Care Plan.